On our way to this movie, Matt and I talked about the lack of diversity in film and specifically how if this movie were just called "Crazy Rich People," the general popoulation wouldn't think twice about seeing this movie. However, because it has the word, "Asians," I think most people automatically assume that they won't be able to relate to it. After all, being able to connect yourself to a story is the reason we see movies in the first place. Well, allow me to burst your unintended, ignorant bubble!
1. This film has an all Asian cast. Guys, this is a big deal. This was a huge production and it gave so many actors a chance to show the world their skills. Think about your favorite movies for a moment... how many of them have all white or mostly white actors?
2. This film is totally relatable. We have all felt like a Rachel Chu in our lives. Her story is as normal as it is inspiring. There are moments when she is embarrassed, sad, angry, and hurt. We've all been in those situations.
3. I could not stop laughing. This movie is dang funny! It has some classic comedians like Ken Jeong (from the Hangover) and Awkwafina (from Ocean's 8), but really every one was funny.
4. Girls can be so mean, but they don't have to be. It surprised me who ended up being the petty, mean girls, and who were the kind, supportive women. It just goes to show that we can't automatically rule someone out just because we think they may not like us.
5. Across all cultures, we all experience similar things. Navigating the ins and outs of relationships and how to problem solve when two people come from vastly different backgrounds is all too familiar. In fact, there were several times when Matt and I looked at each other with knowing smiles, because we had been through the same thing.
I could give you so many more reasons, but not without spoilers! Trust me, this will become one of your favorite movies!